Sunday, September 16, 2012

Exchange in Istanbul: Princes' Islands & getting apartment

A lot has happened since I last time wrote this blog. I had little over week long trip around Turkey but I'm going to write about that later. I'm now back in Istanbul and university should start next week. I rented a room right next to Taksim Square which was not my original plan. But I will write more about that later in this blog.

Before I left for my trip to central and south Turkey I spent sunny Saturday with Can on Princes' Islands which are located right in front of Istanbul on Sea of Marmara. We took a boat from Bostancı towards the islands. We were supposed to go on Büyükada which is the biggest island but Can mixed the islands and we ended up first on the island of Heybeliada. We first checked how we can go to Büyükada and because there was some time until next boat leaves we walked around the village of Heybeliada. The village is small but full of beautiful wooden houses. Cars are not allowed on these islands so it's easy to walk around. Horse carriages cause sometimes troubles though. After the walk it was time to have a short boat trip to Büyükada.

At Büyükada we met Can's friend Yusuf whose family owns a house on the island. We had first quick snack which was kokoreç, bread with lamb intestines. Good thing was that I didn't know what I was eating but it was bad anyway. Spices were good though. We then rented bikes eventhough I was quite suspicious of that first because I have bad experiences with them. And the island is very hilly. And the first bike I got broke down soon after I jumped on it. Next bike also had some problems but we fixed them and then it was time for bike trip. Route was surprisingly easy because it was mostly downhill on the way where we were going. The roads were lined with very beautiful villas but it was hard to marvel at them when you had to look that you don't hit tourist or horse or chickens. At one point villas ended and we cycled through pine forest. Soon we were at the middle point of our trip, a bicycle park at the bottom of the tallest hill on the island. We left our bikes there and then started to walk towards the top of the hill. The hill is very steep and the walk took at least 30 minutes. Thankfully there is one point where you can fill your water bottles by the path. Towards the top wind was also blowing harder which gave some relief. Finally at the top we visited the small monastery of St. George, established by Greek Orthodoxs. Then we had dinner at the restaurant which was located next to the monastery and had nice views towards Istanbul's eastern districts or on the other side towards Sea of Marmara. After dinner we walked down the hill and then cycled back to the village of Büyükada where we started the bike trip. Sun was setting down when we entered the boat and it was dark already when we arrived to Bostancı.

Next day I planned my trip to Anatolian Turkey and went to buy bus ticket and new smallet bag for the trip. I found very good one for very cheap! And then on Monday it was time for trip but more about that on other blog post.

When I returned from my trip I picked up my luggage from Can's home and then I moved to Chillout Hostel in the centre of the city at İstiklal Caddesi and in the hostel I met my Finnish friend Arttu who is also coming to study at Fatih University. Together we decided that it's not probably good idea to go living in university dormitories so we started quickly to find rooms for us. After sending some emails we went to see some apartments. All of them were very nice but unfortunately from the more expensive side of the price range. I however decided to take one room right next to Taksim Square. It is quite expensive on Turkish prices but affordable. And the location is amazing, near all the important places, except Fatih University :D Arttu decided to try university dormitories for some time and I went with him to see the dormitories. As soon as we arrived there I was sure I had made right decision to stay in the centre of the city. The neighbourhood where the dormitories were located was quite unfriendly looking and it was still 30 minutes from the university. After saying goodbye to Arttu and to other exchange student from Hungary which I met at the dormitories I took some very slow bus back to Taksim. After arriving back to centre I went to hostel, took my stuff and moved to my new room and now I have happily lived here for one day :) As I have lived alone in Helsinki it takes me for some time to get used to have a room mate but Ehad, my room mate, seems to be very relaxed and friendly person.

No comments:

Post a Comment