Friday, August 31, 2012

Exchange in Istanbul: First days

This fall I'm doing an Erasmus exchange in Istanbul, Turkey. I'm trying to write this blog during my stay but let's see how it goes when the university starts. My university will be Fatih University which is located quite far from the centre of the Istanbul on the European side in the municipality of Büyükçekmece. I'm planning to stay in the university dormitories which should be a very interesting experience too.

But I'm already here in Istanbul 3 weeks before the university starts to get know how Istanbul and Turkey works. I'm staying first with my Turkish friend Can and his family. So far my plan has been very good: without Can's help and this slow introduction to Istanbul I would be probably totally culture shocking and wondering what the hell is happening around me. Thanks to Can's family I have got chance to get know Turkish food with easy way and public transportation is slowly getting more understandable for me. So far it seems that Turkish people aren't that good in English but they know enough so that I can survive here. And yes, I will be studying in English and my Turkish skills at the moment are nonexistent. But slowly Turkish words are starting to stay in my head.

Can lives in an area called Caddebostan between Kadıköy and Bostancı on the Asian side. I've been staying mostly here and we had walk with Can in Kadıköy and Üsküdar areas. Kadıköy has nice narrow walking streets full of restaurants, bars and cafés and in there I see only few other tourists. I recommend visit this area if you're staying longer in Istanbul. Üsküdar had more tourists because there is couple famous mosques and you can see the beautiful view over Bosphorus Strait to historical district of Istanbul with silhouettes of Hagia Sophia, Topkapı Palace and Blue Mosque. Also the famous Maiden's Tower or Kız Kulesi is located in Üsküdar and there is nice café by the water where you can sit and enjoy one of the most beautiful views in this world. We also went to visit in Taksim Square and İstiklal Avenue on the European side where we met my friend from Finland who had extra time between her flights and she wanted to quickly visit in Istanbul.

The area where I'm staying is called Caddebostan. It is affluent area and famous Bağdat Caddesi or Baghdad Street is going through it. This street is full shops and restaurants and buzzling with people all the time. Caddebostan seaside had very nice park which locals really love. It is said to be one of the most liberal places in the city where everybody can hang around freely. The views from the park are nice too: you can see famous Princes' Islands from there. There is also public beach in the park.

So far the stay here in Istanbul and Turkey has been good. Let's see what future brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment