Sunday, September 11, 2011

Jerusalem - day 2

After 3 hours of bad sleeping I woke up and took my luggage to reception. I bought some breakfast from a bakery next to the hostel and started to walk towards Jerusalem's old town. I came to the Jaffa Gate little before 7.30am and Marcin came soon after me. Even though this wasn't his first time in Jerusalem he hasn't visited the Temple Mount before. We walked through Jewish quarter to the Western Wall or Wailing Wall. Because it was early morning the stalls and shops were just opening up and only few people were on the move. But at the Western Wall there was already lots of people praying. I was little surprised of the security check before the wall but that's the case everywhere here. We watched the people for short time and then went to the bridge which lead up to the Temple Mount. Everything not Islamic is forbidden at Temple Mount so they scan your bags to find if you have crosses, stars, Bibles, Torahs or other religious staff in your bag. When we entered Temple Mount the sun was shining brightly - it was going to be a warm day. I was surprised how green it was around the Mount. Al-Aqsa mosque didn't look any special but the crown jewel Dome of the Rock was magnificent. It had lots of little buildings around it that I didn't know before. You could see the Mount of Olives from the Mount. Around the Mount were groups of older men reading probably Quran, like we have Bible groups. There was only few tourists around, some Americans had sneaked their Bible inside and were reading some chapter from it. Although you can only enter the Temple Mount from one point you can exict anywhere.

After we left from Temple Mount we walked back to Jaffa Gate through the Armenian Quarter where was not much to see. At the gate I said goodbye to Marcin who went back to sleep. I continued my walk by going towards Christian Quarter. I soon found myself next to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. There was lots of tourists groups around it. Mostly Russians and Americans but also lots of Spanish-speaking people, Africans and nuns who looked very enthusiastic to be there. It was dark inside the church. I followed the stations of the cross inside to get a feeling of the church. It was so crazy to see how people where so into just for being there. They were kissing the Stone of Unction, nuns where jumping of happines, the line to get inside to the Holy Sepulchre was long and everybody where making cross signs. These are things that my Lutheran mind can't understand. Incense was smelling powerfully everywhere. I walked around the whole church. It had little mystic atmosphere because of the darkness. When I left from there I noticed the Lutheran Church of Redeemer was located next to it. Inside the Lutheran church there was only Japanese couple with me. I had little familiar feeling when I was sitting there, all the churches in Finland look just same inside.

As it wasn't even noon yet I decided to go see the Mount of Olives. I walked through the Muslim Quarter and got little lost because I found myself from the Western Wall. One of the reasons I love Jerusalem's old town is the fact that it's very maze-like. I bought some falafel to eat and then finally found the Lions Gate. The walk from the old town to the Gardens of Gethsemane wasn't that long but I got probably 20 taxi ride offers to anywhere in West Bank. Gardens of Gethsemane consists of few old olive treest. Next to it is the Church of All Nations. There was somebody singing in Spanish and it sounded very beautiful. I sat down to listen it for a short time. Then I started my walk up to the Mount. After few minutes of walking I realised how stupid idea it was. The hill is very steep. I don't recommend walking for the people with bad health. There was little garden with viewing point little before the top. As it was said everywhere that you should be careful when going alone to the Mount of Olives, I was very surprised to find little groups of Japanese kids running around without adults. I ended to some square where Japanese kids' bus was located. I noticed that churches located on the top where further than I thought so I just walked to the viewing point. The viewing point is located on top of the Jewish cemetary and it has amazing views over the city. And up there I experienced something very beautiful. Clock hit noon and that's is the one of the praying times for Muslims. So all the mosques put their prayer calls on and their sounds were echoing around the city. It sounded amazing and it was very peaceful moment. At the viewing point there was only Russian family (and camel!) with me who were also amazed of the prayer calls. That was very unforgettable moment.

After resting my feet for a while watching the magnificent view I started to walk back down. I walked through the Jewish cemetary and I was shocked how much destroyed graves there were. Back down I quickly visited tomb of the Virgin Mary before it closed for afternoon break. I walked back to the city centre walking around southside of the old town. I started to feel very tired so I went straight to the hostel and then I called to Olga. She was still sleeping after our night out. I came to her place and went straight to sleep myself too. I woke up around 6pm and I noticed that Olga had left somewhere. But I found her soon from her roommates room. She was going out with him but I didn't want to join them, I was still so tired. I went to find something to eat, then I came back, surfed in the internet and went back to sleep. I didn't even woke up when Olga came back.

No comments:

Post a Comment