Sunday, September 11, 2011

Israel - Akko (Acre)

Before Jacob went to work he drove me to the train station. My destination today was neighbouring city of Akko or Acre as it is also called. Train journey was short and I was quickly at Akko station. My first challenge was to find my way through the New Akko to get to Old Akko. Akko's old town is declared as a Unesco World Heritage Site because it was important city for Crusaders and for pilgrims going to Jerusalem. New Akko is concrete hell built after 1950's.

It was surprisingly short walk from the station to old town. I first climbed on top of the walls surrounding the old town. There was nothing special up there but I enjoyed the views over the old town. Finally a place that looks Middle-Eastern! After exploring the walls I went to find this famous hummus restaurant which is said to be the best in Israel and Jacob also recommended it. So it must be good! I found it quite easily. It's located in the souq and can be recognized by the line of people wanting to get in. I ordered basic hummus with chickpeas and there was also olives and pita bread of course. I was still full from breakfast so I didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped. Basic good hummus for me.

After dinner I was very full and ready to explore Akko Citadel. Citadel was place where the Crusaders lived when they were hanging in Akko. Also Marco Polo visited this place. Audio tour was included in the ticket price but I'm not fan of them so I didn't get the machine. But after I entered the Citadel I noticed it was a big  mistake. There was very little information inside the Citadel. Thank god my guidebook had some information about the place so I had some clue what I was looking at. I first walked through the Knights' Halls and then I got to the courtyard where I saw the dining hall. And I was mostly by myself. If you want to avoid tourist crowds in Israel, come in January. You can be mostly alone. Only way to get out of the Citadel was through very small and claustrophobic underground sewer. And it was quite long too.

When I came back on ground I decided to visit the al-Jazzar mosque. The ticket seller was being sneaky and hid behind the gate doors so that you can think for first seconds that the mosque is free. There is nothing special about the mosque. It looks nice but you can't get inside, you're only allowed to peak inside from the door. After that I walked to see Templars tunnel. It's a tunnel going under the whole old city. First part of it had very low ceiling but it got higher so that already in the middle I got to walk straight. The tunnels other end was at the beach. I watched to view towards Haifa for some time and then I started to walk aimlessly through the old town. Outside the tourist attractions people were living their normal lifes. Kids were coming from school, mothers where washing clothes and talking to each other.

Because it still early afternoon I decided to go see the Baha'i Gardens in Akko. The Akko Baha'i Gardens are the most holiest place in Baha'i faith because it was the home and the tomb of  the founder of the religion, prophet Baha'ullah. I took local bus from the bus station to the gardens. Driver was very helpful and showed me where to get off. The stop was next to the gates but it was still long walk from the gates to the house. At visitors' gate the guard asked me where I'm coming from. When I said that I'm from Finland he gave me information guide in Finnish. He said they have it in every language. The house and the tomb were closed from me because it's only open for Baha'is (they organise the visit before hand). It's open to the public only in the morning but it was now afternoon so I only got to see the house from far. The gardens were in excellent order, just like in Haifa.

After the short visit I walked back to bus stop. My plan was to take bus back to Akko and then take the train to Haifa. But when the bus came I for some strange reason said to driver that I want to go Haifa. The driver was little confused and asked me that do I really want to go to Haifa. I said yes because I still didn't realise there was nothing wrong in my question. The driver sold me ticket and I was little confused of it's much higher price than what it was when I came to the gardens. When I sat down I realised my mistake. But then I realised that this bus is most likely going to Haifa if the driver sold me ticket to there. And it was even cheaper than taking the train. After we passed Akko's bus station I realised why the driver was so confused of my choice to go by bus to Haifa. It was rush hour so the journey took a lot of time. And the bus of course stopped many times.

The bus's terminal was Lev HaMifratz bus station which is located next to the big shopping centre where I went see the film with Jacob 2 days ago. Because Jacob was getting off at work late I decided to hang out in a cafe in the shopping centre. But after I drank my tea and ate my apple pie and checked Facebook I felt bored and I decided to go to more centre of the city. While I waited for the train I saw how a passing express train drove over a kitten that was sitting on the trails. It left me feeling little sad. Then I took train to Merkaz-HaShamona station which is located more in the centre of Haifa.
In the centre I went to eat some kebab and hummus. Then I walked to the German Colony to see the gardens in the dark and it was very beautiful. I bought ice cream and then Jacob called and said that he was coming to pick me up. At home I went straight to sleep and I was feeling very excited about the next day. Tomorrow it will be the time for Jerusalem!

No comments:

Post a Comment