Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Exchange in Istanbul: Things I miss

Ok, I haven't been even 2 months in Turkey yet but there is so many things already that I miss from my home country Finland. I will list some of them here. But don't get me wrong, I love to be in here and I would not change it to anything!

- Milk: this is on top of my mind now because today I bought again milk, and I always buy different labels but unfortunately they all taste wrong! All milk they sell here is kept in warm not in fridges so of course it's different in taste than the ones in Finnish fridges. So I think I will stick with ayran (yoghurt & salt water drink) because it is the closest taste of normal milk I have found.

- My apartment: I need privacy and that is only possible in your own apartment. My roommate is nice but I'm used to live alone :)

- Empty public transportation: in Helsinki there is maybe once a week a situation where I can't find free seat in bus or tram, here it is everytime I enter bus, tram or metro.

- Knives: they don't use knives in this country, wtf?!

- In Finland you don't have to ever hear that somebody is too busy serve you even when you have specifically reserved a time from that person to serve you. So no matter if you get early time for your residence permit appointment, they probably will tell you to come again in 2 weeks.

- Oven: there is no oven in our apartment, how can I cook????And also no microwave!

- Cheap tuna: canned tuna is expensive!

- Frozen pizzas: my basic food doesn't exist here, but we don't have oven so I couldn't warm then anywhere anyway...

- Kebab: yes, I'm in Turkey and I miss kebab because lamb meat is not my thing, sorry...

- Toaster: and we don't have toaster. I could of course buy these things but for only half year it's not really necessary

- Cheap & tasty university lunches: I will never ever complain about the taste of the food in Helsinki University's canteens

- University staff: You could think that everybody in university could speak in English but no. So good luck in copy center!

- Computer classes: There is no open computer classes in our university, or possibility to print by yourself

- Public transportation card: there is only one kind of monthly ticket in Istanbul and that is useless unless you travel like crazy

- Spotify: it doesn't work here! And YouTube is slow most of the time!

-  Recycling: doesn't exist here, everything goes in the same trash can and then to street where somebody collects them.'


No comments:

Post a Comment