Monday, October 3, 2011

Jerusalem - day 4

When I woke up I packed my things because I needed to leave Olga's place. There was a new couchsurfer coming to her place today. I said goodbye to her and then I walked to the hostel I stayed before. I got a bed from a same room where I was staying before but unfortunately I didn't got the same bed as last time. I hate sleeping on the top bed. But after leaving my stuff there I headed to Yad Vashem Holocaust museum. Bus driver was nice enough to tell me at what stop I needed to get off. I was very surprised of the scenery in the area. I didn't know there was forests like that in Israel. And it was so quiet! Very refresing after the noisy city centre. But I have to admit that Jerusalem's city centre is very quiet in the night. But back in Yad Vashem there was free shuttle bus going from the bus stop to the museum. There was no timetable so I just decided to walk to the museum through the forest. Yad Vashem is free to enter but I decided to buy a map of the area. It was good decision because the museum area is vast. I hate crowds and group tours in the museums and unfortunately the Holocaust History Museum was full of people and groups. But there was lots of good information (everything also in English) and especially lots of new information for me. Anyway, I enjoyed more walking outside in the park. There is different monuments all around the park and I was mostly alone when I was walking there. Only sound I heard was wind blowing. And because the museum is on top of a hill there was nice views to the Jerusalem Forest and suburbs around it.

After touring around the whole Yad Vashem I took bus back to the city centre. I went to Mahane Yehuda Market to buy food and I also bought some souvenir. Then my plan was to visit Israel Museum. I had asked earlier from the hostel how to get to the museum. So I took the bus they had adviced. But the driver of the bus said that I took the bus to the wrong direction. So I got off at the next stop and waited a looong time for the right bus. The next driver was also helpful and promised to say to me when I should get off. It was rush hour and the bus drive took ages. Finally I arrived to the museum but when I got to the doors I noticed that it was closing in 30 minutes. I had checked wrong opening hours for the museum. Israel Museum is open later on one day of the week and I thought it was that day but it had been the day before. But they let me walk in the museum garden where I saw the famous Second Temple Era model of Jerusalem and the Shrine of the Book fountain. I also noticed that the Israeli parliament building Knesset was located next to the museum. It was already getting dark so I took bus back to the hostel.

At hostel I spend time with other hostel guests and I went to buy the best falafel in Jerusalem - well, that was the name of the falafel place but it was good falafel. At one point I got a text message from Will. Will was a guy I met at couhsurfing website who asked if I want to have a drink with him in a bar. Because my fellow hostel stayers were very boring company I answered positively to his invitation. I met Will in his favourite bar and I talked with him and with some of his friends. Time went fast and suddenly it was already 3am and I left back to the hostel via shawarma shop. Everybody else in the room were already sleeping so I felt bad for waking some of them up with my late night arrival. And again I had only short sleep ahead of me because I needed to take early bus in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment